Human body is the best canvas for painting: artist

Two illustrious body-painting artists Phuong Vu Manh and Ngo Luc discuss their love for and beauty of the art, which – like nude photography and body tattooing – is developing discreetly in conservative Vietnam.
As Manh hails from the northern capital of Hanoi and Luc from Ho Chi Minh City down south, the two’s viewpoints could be seen as representative of two regions and two styles.
Can you describe briefly what body painting is?
PVM: Body painting highlights the sympathy between human beings, between models and artists who combine together in their effort to seek perfect value.
NL: Body painting is the harmonious combination of human body, painting and sexual desire.
What are your ideas of the remark that it is more inspiring to paint on the body of a nude or semi-nude girl?
PVM: Not wrong. It’s a wonderful job to paint on the body of a nude girl because I can then express my ideas through the paintbrush and discuss with her – the model – about our perceptions of art, life as well as the outlook on politics and society.
You see, no canvas can bring me such feelings.
NL: To be frank, painting on a human body is inspiring and it’s even more so when you do it on the body of a person of the opposite sex.
If it’s the desire for sex, I will drop my brush.
What do you think about the idea that body painting is obscene?
PVM: Give them [critics] more info about the developments of body painting.
NL: I never think of it that way. Those who do think will not make that statement.
 body 1
What is the difference of painting on a human body and on a canvas?
PVM: The best-ever canvas on earth is the human body and the body itself is the masterpiece of the Creator. And the artist just makes it look different with colors and patterns to display his/her perception.
NL: It’s much different. Human body is itself a wonderful work of art and the artist can just honor it.
A work of body painting can last for a couple of hours and then will be washed out. What do you think about its short life?
PVM: Body painting can actually survive longer with photography and filming. And I believe that in a not so far future, lovers of the art will search for collections of images of body painting.
In developed countries, an artist of body painting can earn from US$500 - US$5,000 by painting a piece of art. Some others work for media and advertisement firms with a handsome income of $1,000 an hour.
But it’s not the case in Vietnam now.
NL: The short-lived survival applies not only to body painting. For me, I make some small sum from body painting.
Do sponsors help?
PVM: My body painting events got sponsored. However, an artist needs their own work of art and then, I have to cover all costs.
NL: I see a clear border between doing a job to earn my livings and doing other things for my passion.
Anyway, you always need sponsors to be successful with body painting.
Do feelings of sexual sensation survive while you are painting on a body? And how does it help in making a great artwork?
PVM: I am a man and an artist. Either a man or an artist knows how to respect and honor natural beauty, especially the charming bodies of women. So both of the feelings intertwine to make up my feelings and urge me to draw.
But after a moment, I would forget I am a man and my feelings of an artist would rule until I complete my artwork.
NL: Nothing can stop sexual desire but it grows just only enough to make my feelings soar high and nothing more.
ngo luc 1
Artist Ngo Luc (R) is creating patterns on the body of a foreign model
 ngo luc 3
You paint not only on man and women, but also on buffalos
PVM: It’s different to draw on the body of a buffalo. Its hairs are stiff and so you need more labor to make the ink adhere. And a buffalo can hardly understand you so you must understand him.
NL: For me, I like it best when I paint on the body of a woman.
Bio of artists Ngo Luc and Phuong Vu Manh
Phuong Vu Manh, 42, graduated from the Hanoi Fine Art University in 1998 and has taken part in 40 exhibitions. Not only making body painting, he works on oil paintings, and lacquers.
Ngo Luc, 32, graduated from the HCMC Fine Art University and becomes well known for his involvement in contemporary visual art.
 ngo luc 2
A pattern created on model Hanh Quyen by artist Ngo Luc

List of Companies - A Business Directory