Chapter 7: Leave something in the classroom before you go home - Part 1

Following is part 1 of chapter 7 "Trước khi đi học về hãy để quên một cái gì đó" (Leave something  in the classroom  before you go home) from the children novel "Open the window, eyes closed" by Nguyen Ngoc Thuan presented in both English and Vietnamese only published on Tuoitrenews:
The English translation is provided by Tre publishing house.
We hope you would have an enjoyable experience reading this lovely piece of writing.  


The other day something happened that puzzled all of us in my class. Nobody noticed it at first, but then it became obvious – Tí was arriving in the classroom very early. This was especially weird because he was never a particularly hard-working student. And yet he wasn’t even calling round for me to go with him to school any more. This repeated itself a couple of times and I decided I would get up early and follow him and see what was going on. What was he up to? I didn’t know yet. All I knew was that he was heading for school much earlier than necessary.
 

Straight away I noticed that when he arrived in the classroom, he would walk immediately to the teacher’s table, pick up something and then head back to his desk. He held that something very tightly and he kept smiling. When I asked him what was so funny he just kept quiet.
 

I told this to my classmates. They then decided they would make it to the classroom early as well. Unfortunately we’d always find him sitting there, smiling and saying nothing. So the next day we arrived even earlier but he was still sitting there with a smirk on his face. He was always the first there, though, and it took me a whole week to beat him and get there before he did.
 

There on the teacher’s table I saw a small package. When I opened it I saw a piece of candy. So who left it there, and when? I was peeling the candy and dropping it into my mouth when Tí dashed in.
 

I shouted, “I knew your secret!”
He smirked. “Only after I’ve already had twenty pieces of candy!”
“But who left it there?”
“I don’t know.”
During the break my mates gathered around me and asked, “So what was it all about?”
 

I winked at Tí and smiled. They were very angry and they kept asking me, only to get my half-smiles in answer. How could I let them know this sweet secret!
 

A few days passed and gradually the secret was revealed to more and more people. We looked at each other and smiled... In the end the whole class knew the secret. But we still didn’t know who started it all in the first place. We arranged among ourselves to keep watch but we couldn’t find the answer and hadn’t a clue who left those candies there. There was always one on the teacher’s table first thing in the morning.
 

At first we thought it was Miss Hà. But that was impossible. She always left the room before we did. So who was it? We just didn’t have a clue.
 
To be continued...  
Một hôm, lớp học của tôi bỗng xôn xao vì một chuyện lạ. Đầu tiên không ai để ý cả, nhưng dần dần mọi việc đã quá rõ. Thằng Tí là người luôn đi học sớm. Điều này lạ hoắc vì chưa bao giờ nó siêng năng như vậy. Khi đi học, nó còn không thèm gọi tôi. Nhiều lần lặp lại liên tiếp, thế là tôi ráng dậy sớm để đi theo nó, rình. Nó giở trò gì đây, tôi chẳng biết. Nó chỉ cắm cúi đi.




Khi đến lớp, nó nhảy xổ đến bàn cô giáo nhặt một cái gì đó rồi đi về bàn mình. Cầm cái vật nhỏ nhỏ trong tay, nó cừ cười miết. Hỏi cười cái gì, nó cũng không nói.

Tôi kể mọi chuyện cho tụi bạn nghe. Thế là cả bọn chúng tôi quyết định sẽ đến sớm hơn. Nhưng thật không may, khi đến lớp đã thấy nó ngồi chễm chệ, cười cười, không nói. Hôm sau, tụi tôi đi sớm hơn nữa, vẫn thấy nó ngồi cười cười. Nó luôn đến trước. Mãi cả tuần sau, tôi mới được hân hạnh là người đến đầu tiên.

Trên bàn cô giáo có một gói giấy nhỏ. Khi mở ra bên trong có một viên kẹo, chẳng biết ai đã để ở đây và để khi nào. Tôi vừa lột viên kẹo bỏ vào miệng thì vừa lúc thằng Tí xông vào.


Tôi hét to:
- Tao biết bí mật của mày rồi!
Thằng Tí bĩu môi:
- Tao đã ăn được những hai mươi viên.
- Nhưng ai để lại vậy?
- Tao không biết.
Giờ ra chơi, tụi bạn bu quanh tôi hỏi:
- Cái gì vậy?

Tôi nhìn thằng Tí rồi cười cười. Bọn chúng tức điên lên, hỏi mãi, tôi cũng chỉ cười cười. Làm sao có thể cho bọn chúng biết điều bí mật ngọt ngào này được!


Cách vài hôm, lại thêm một đứa mới biết điều bí mật. Chúng tôi cứ nhìn nhau cười cười... Rồi dần dần, lớp chúng tôi ai cũng biết điều bí mật. Nhưng ai là người làm ra điều bí mật đó thì không được biết. Chúng tôi đã phân công nhiều ổ mai phục, nhưng cuối cùng chẳng thu được kết quả gì. Luôn luôn, vào sáng sớm, trên bàn cô lại xuất hiện một viên kẹo. 
 

Lúc đầu chúng tôi cứ nghĩ là cô giáo Hà. Nhưng không phải. Cô luôn ra khỏi lớp khi trong phòng vẫn còn chúng tôi. Vậy thì ai? Nghĩ mãi vẫn không ra.


List of Companies - A Business Directory